Researching/Writing Historical Fiction with Larry Feign
Join Larry Feign, author of the historical novel The Flower Boat Girl, in a workshop where we will discuss some of the rules and pitfalls of writing historical fiction, based on his training in historical research, as well as wisdom from masters of historical fiction writing. Topics include:
- The research rabbit hole; ranking primary, secondary, and unreliable sources
- Developing your Historical Bullshit Detector
- The history is not the story
- How much can you make up: Don’t contradict what is known
- Avoiding the “fatal cheapness” of historical fiction
- The challenges of writing archaic dialogue
Together we’ll examine one or more historical events and try to discover the story in them, and a research and writing plan.
- Number of places: 20
Featuring (click on author names to read more)
Larry Feign is an award-winning writer and artist based in Hong Kong. He is the author of numerous books for adults and children.